Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Proof in the Pudding: How I did today

Here's my two shops today down at the beach and how well we did. Definitely on vacation mode and there's no reason to save money but my motto is "Why waste money at the grocery store or Walmart that is meant to be spent at the Premium Outlets??"

Breakdown- What came with me?
1. Publix lists were generated for both Atlanta and Florida on Wednesday night. Did Atlanta first so I could cross check the items I was interested in that I could bring with me since Georgia Publix doubles coupons up to .50 in Georgia and Florida doesn't double at all! (GASP!) Figured out what was on the Florida list not on Georgia and made sure I printed those items and got the coupons.
2. Thanks to our germ fest lovely fun filled strep week- I had 2 $25 Publix gift cards from our antibiotics. One was used to complete the Atlanta list on Friday and the other took care of our trip down here.
3. I also did the Winn Dixie list and found a great promotion. Buy 4 Kellogg Cereals- get a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs for free with their Customer Card. Had coupons to cover all 4 cereals. Went to Customer Service and asked if there was a courtesy card at each register. A courtesy card will let you take advantage of the savings of the card but not get a card for a place you are visiting and not bog down that store's customer loyalty base with "fake customers."
4. Had great coupons for buy 2 Coca Cola 2 liters, get one free. Mike found them on a tearpad in our Publix. Another reason to always have those "Shopper's Eyes" on whenever in a store.
Found another 2 liter coupon blinkie when using the Buy 2 Get 1 coupon. I'll explain that later but it worked and we rocked it on 6 liters of Coke products.
5. Armed with a $4 off $20 CVS coupon so I went to Publix Customer Service and found out that while they don't double in Florida- they did take this coupon.

Publix Trip: In Destin.
Atlanta rocked us 40 items, saved $45 and had almost $3 left on the $25 GC.
Note: This is not an all coupon trip like usual- this is what we need for the beach.
Smart Blend Wesson Oil $2.00
Kraft Horseradish $1.89
Yes I forgot this even though I blogged about it and we use it to spice up cocktail sauce
Pancake Mix $1.39
This is for a killer frying mix with sparkling water for shrimp- very light like Low Country meets Tempura
HotPockets- Madi wanted out of the blue $2.60
Large Classic Salad Mix $2.09
(2) Sargento Large Shredded Cheese $4.00 total
(2) Santtitas Tortilla Chips $4.00 total
Bisquick Cheese Biscuit Mix (girls love) $1.09
Bullfrog Sunscreen Spray for Mike's fishing trip $9.29
Publix Hot Dog buns $1.23
(3) Zephyrhills 3 Liter Waters $3.00 total
(6) Coca Cola 2 Liters $8.00 total before coupons (Next to nothing after)
(6) Publix Sodas $2.60 or so

After $11 in coupons (no doubling) the total came to $34.89. Between the 2 GCs from our StrepFest- out grand total was $8.20 OOP.

Winn Dixie
Bag of 10lb Ice
Bag of assorted cream cookies for girls to snack on this week
(8) Arm & Hammer Complete Care toothpaste full size
My fav and love the Peroxide and Baking Soda and final price was .35 each! Yes, I even stockpile at the beach!
(4) 12 oz or more boxes of Kellogg's Cereal. Going home for school what we don't use here.
Free Gallon of Milk from above purchase
Free dozen eggs from above purchase
(2) Armour Sizzle and Serve sausages for our fab breakfasts planned
Muscadines (2lbs)
Squash (2lbs)
Limes (2lbs)
Strawberries (2lbs)
(2) Crystal Lights 3 count
Roma Tomatoes (2lbs)

After coupons and promotions: $25.94 and I saved $53.42.
Had I just walked in a drug store alone and bought the Arm & Hammer toothpaste- I'd spend over that total.

So final for my staples for the week with splurges and SOME "wants" added to the vacay week- I spent $25 at home beforehand and $35 here. And that's including the toothpaste and cereal coming home that will last for a long time.

We can eat off the fishing trips, the seafood markets, stay out of Walmart and the stores for at least 3/4 of the week. If the weather cooperates- this time in Destin is awesome- calm beaches, fair temperatures and the family spent the late afternoon finding some of the most amazing shells that I haven't seen in Destin in 20 years. I didn't put a bathing suit on- just planned to watch the girls and I was soaked getting the shells Madi found with her net. We'll go out to eat where it's great and definitely spoil the family... I promise it is so much more fun when you spoil the masses on truly special things and not just that "needed" luxury that vacation means eating out. Vacation to me means hanging out, keeping things simple, eating well, loving life and appreciating a beach that has been such a part of Mike and I.

Destin beaches hold such a special connection for Mike and I. The decisions we have made together can be linked to sitting on these beaches and watching this gorgeous shore. Our lives ahead are going to hold even more special times here for our family this year and onward. Too many decisions from PGA Cards to Marriage to Fortune 5 companies to Family to Moving have been discussed here sitting in this white sand and we want our family to continue this tradition that has been working for the Mike and Traci Rogers Family in the last 18 years. All I know is when I take that "free" (any Destin person will laugh) bridge across the bay on 331- I breathe easier, I smile more and I feel like I am home.

We rocked it- we have a fun week planned, little money spent on petty stuff and it's going to be a great week! If you want help planning your vacay- let me know!!

1 comment:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Fantastic!

I love staying at timeshare rentals just for the kitchen, so you don't have to eat out every meal. BTW I have found some steals years ago on www.skyauction.com -- $211 for a week in Palm Springs in a 1 bed condo!

You inspired me to see how I can trim our budget even more for the upcoming annual trip to LA!