Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Monday, October 12, 2009

Living Smart 101: Halloween Costumes- I'm not popular in my house!

Okay- it's that time again. Every time you hit any store, the kids want to see the costumes and tell you what they want to be for Halloween. This is the first year that I have 2 kids with 2 opinions about what they want to be. Mackenzie is now 3 so technically 13 in her mind and there is no way any suggestion I have for a costume will work like it has the last 3 Halloweens.

Madison is also getting smarter about costumes but I've decided to put my foot down.

Why? First of all, I'm not the Party Pooper of Halloween but I cannot and will not justify spending $40 at Walmart on 2 costumes that are flimsy and unwearable beyond that night or playing dress up on the characters my girls want to be. Madi wants to be Alex from Waverly Place and Mac wants to be Hannah. Hello? These are just 2 characters dressed like they normally do everyday to go to school! True- in high fashion style but we can re-create that for much less than the cost of these costumes.

How? My first thought is Goodwill. We have a wonderful one near us and in an affluent area so we have found great deals. I studied the costumes available at Walmart at $20 a pop and think we can recreate the look for less and be able to wear the clothes again. The Alex costume has a funky top, a scarf and purple leggings. I can find a funky top or dress then get purple leggings at Walmart and I'm sure come in much less than $20 and she can wear the clothes again. If Goodwill doesn't work, we can raid my closet- a top would make a cute dress on Madi, we can check Ross for me or her or slightly bigger for her- my point is we can get creative, have fun in the process and come up with an alternative that she likes, I like the price and will be used again.

If you need to save money this year or you just can't justify the expense of costumes- get creative and everyone wins in the end. I really don't think kids care what they have on once they start running house to house ringing doorbells and getting candy. In our area, they can't wear costumes to school so it's really just that hour or two running around.

Everyone can be happy- as a parent... be strong and reasonable. You know I'm right... in the end it's all about the candy and running around with friends. No child needs a $40 costume to have fun that night. And it's been my history that buying a costume now that Madi had to have and spent the money- she had changed her mind 50 times over by Halloween.

My point- get creative. This certainly doesn't work if your child wants to be a Storm Trooper but if it's an "everyday" character like my girls want- I think we can do better and find more use than just one night. Plus- I know here in Georgia- we never know if it's going to be 80 or freezing. Why spend all that money on costumes that you might end up putting a coat over?

2 comments:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Very good points! I almost went crazy when one year my sister in law's boss' wife came over with her 2 year old in this very, very sweet princess dress (wedding quality) -- till I found she had paid $300 for it! And the kid had no idea what she was wearing!!

You hit the nail on the head that once the candy starts flowing into their bags, they couldn't care less if they were wearing a Hefty bag with arm holes cut out.

Loran said...

I was going to try my hand at creativity this year until we saw costumes at a consignment store in Powder Springs for $5-10 each! Perfectly fine, no stains, tears or smells - just slightly used (probably once!) costumes. The name of the store is Hand Me Ups and they probably have about 20 left if anyone is in that area.