Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Coupon 101: Loss Leaders

Photobucket
We did some great shops today and I even ran into a good friend at Kroger that participated in the Avery Cubs Coupon Club through our PTA. She was working the deals and I showed her a loss leader that I found in the meat department. I realized that loss leaders would be a great topic for a Coupon 101.

Wikipedia: A loss leader or leader[1] is a product sold at a low price (at cost or below cost)[2] to stimulate other profitable sales. It is a kind of sales promotion, in other words marketing concentrating on a pricing strategy. A loss leader is often a popular article. Sometimes leader is now used as a related term and means any popular article, in other words one sold at a normal price.[3]

Where does that work for you? If you know your prices and you realize you are looking at a loss leader then stock up! Usually, I like loss leaders in the meat department but you will also find them throughout the grocery store. There is also another reason for a loss leader and that's a store stocking up on let's say chicken breasts and they aren't selling like they predicted. Lowering the price will drive more shoppers to purchase the item before the expiration dates.

Like the definition said above, I went to a Farmer's Market and Kroger today. Both had asparagus for next to nothing! There's an abundance since it's a spring vegetable but the stores also want you to love this time of year aka Spring and fresh asparagus so when they raise prices later- you are willing to pay more. The other deal we found tonight were pork loins great for throwing on the grill. We stocked up on several to throw in the freezer for grilling later on this spring/summer.

Loss leaders are always a reason to scan the store and all the departments for unexpected deals. You have to know your prices and how you can take advantage when you come across low prices to move product!

1 comment:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

You made a good point. You need to learn what are the good prices for your part of the country. I have them memorized, but there is a learning curve. Art is always scanning the ads, and asks, "Is this a good price?"

:-)