Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Living Smart 101: Saving On Vacation

I was asked to share how I save money when we go to the beach. I've shared my tips and hints for Disney so I thought I'd share how I save when we go to the beach. A lot of us are about to have Fall Break in September and if you are from Atlanta or the surrounding areas- the majority of us make a mass exodus to the Gulf Coast.

1. Shop around and check out different companies. Pit them against one another. Mike did this and played 2 different companies against one another. We are repeat renters with both and we found out who wanted to retain our business. Mike told the person he was working with how much he wanted to spend, the amenities he wanted, location, size etc. Both companies offered a repeat business discount that wasn't featured on their websites. They each offered to take 20% off the weekly rate.
2. Talking to a real person than just relying on the websites. The person Mike was working with was able to tell him all about the condo we ended up renting. It's one of her favorites (these are smaller companies in Destin so she just wasn't blowing smoke), how clean it was, newly renovated etc. We got a lot more information about different units which made our choice easier to decide on.
3. Check out companies that offer amenities like free golf, free fishing, movie rentals etc. The two companies we like to use have a full amenities package that comes with your rental. Mike gets a free round of golf including cart fee for every day we are there!! And 2 courses he can choose from are in Sandestin. Rates on these 2 courses are pushing $100 a round. We get a free dolphin cruise, fishing excursion and dvd rentals every day. When you take in account what it would cost to do these things on our own- the value of our rental is even better than just a place to stay on the beach.
4. Start making lists now for things you need at the beach. I have a goal that I stay out of Walmart then we are in Destin. I have an excel spreadsheet for the beach that lists all the stuff we need so I can check everything off when I'm packing. And I start modifying the list about a month out from our trip. When I think of something, I put it on the list. And I put even the most obvious on the spreadsheet. We've actually had to buy Mike a bathing suit one year when we got there!!
5. Start watching deals for food and supplies you can take with you. For example, I picked up several things of salsa when it was a steal for the beach. Same thing on breakfast and lunch items. Taking it with you when you can find great deals will keep you out of the grocery store also while down there and cut your food costs while there.
6. Once Labor Day hits, watch the clearance aisles at the grocery stores and drug stores for rock bottom prices plus coupons on items like swim pants, sunscreen, beach toys etc. Keep coupons on you for items like these so when you run across a deal then you can grab it and save!!
7. Watch for coupons for eating out and check out Restaurant.com to see what's available for the area you are headed to. I make a travel binder with our reservations, directions to the office and unit and include a pocket for coupons. I got a Buy 1 Get 1 coupon for Outback so I'll throw it in there. We eat a lot of seafood so a lunch or dinner to change things up a little might be nice. We don't do chains in Destin but with a coupon- we might make an exception.
8. Speaking of seafood- we do try to take our sides down like pasta, rice etc. so we are primarily just buying produce, milk and seafood while down there.

Planning ahead not only saves money but allows you to stay out of the stores and making your week at the beach even more stress free and relaxing!!

No comments: