Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Coupon 101: Golden Rule of Couponing

I'm on my coupon soapbox tonight. I know my "peeps" are reasonable and adhere to the 12 Cycle/My Household Need Golden Rule to couponing. Explanation- you only buy what you think will outfit your family to hold out until the 12 week sales cycle comes back around on a product. But there is a big problem out there and if we don't settle down and be more reasonable- some "coupon crazies" are going to ruin this for all of us. And I heard it from a Manager's mouth tonight.

In other words- Do Coupons Unto Others As You Would Have Coupons Done To You.
And yes, I'm comfortable paraphrasing the Lord because of the countless people that have emailed, hugged me, cried to me that I have been a blessing, saved their household, allowed them to get a husband through school, survived a job loss etc. etc. etc.

We were at a Publix tonight looking for a couple of deals that we had a hard time finding this week. The Hydro Razor, the Rold Gold Pretzels and the Nivea Body Wash for Women and Men. Found 1 razor, got the pretzels and no luck on the Body Wash.
The lines bottle necked all of a sudden and we got checked out by a manager. He asked what site I used after saving huge and he was really cool. He thanked me for just buying 4 of each item but the razor. Kinda His Quote: "We just can't handle these folks that come in, buy 10 of everything, come back the next day and our shelves are empty because they are so relentless. Corporate is thinking about putting limits out there but don't want to hurt people like you that are stocking up on a great deal but not clearing our shelves."

Here are some points I would like to make:
1. Please only buy what your house can use in 12 weeks!! Are you going to use 10 Nivea Body Washes in 12 weeks? If your answer is yes and you have the coupons- buy them but don't clear the shelf. Work with a manager, go do little trips and yes that may decrease your chances of getting all 10 but be fair to others that are planning their lists each week, cutting their coupons, putting the same time and energy that you have done to get a chance to get the same deals as you do. Plus could the "coupon crazies" realize that when they buy in bulk and run to the store- they are telling these inventory systems that there is a great deal and then informing the store management to NOT re-stock like they regularly do. SUBTLE COUPONING WOULD BENEFIT US ALL!
2. TRUST the 12 Week Cycle!
The world is not ending and you must buy 40 boxes of Mac and Cheese! There will be other sales, other opportunities to get the same great deal another week. Don't clear shelves like you've only got this last chance forever to get Ken's Salad Dressing forever and ever. Great example- 3 weeks ago the Nivea Body Wash was free at Walmart. This week it's free or was at Publix and Target. You don't think that while stores appear "annoyed" at the freebie- they are still getting the coupon amount from the manufacturer AND the freebie gets you in the store with the hope you spend more money. Patience in couponing can be rewarding. CALM DOWN!! :)
3. Working with a Manager Could Make You Golden! I know this is true because Mike has done it. Go to the Manager on Duty and ask if you can purchase the amount of a product you have coupons for. OR if you see there are 4 of an item left and that's it- go and ask if you can purchase them all. Ask if you could get them trouble, when their truck comes in, is there a better day to purchase or could they set aside X amount of X for you later in the week. I've mentioned in presentations and in the blog that CVS stores are secret shopping and the management gets in HUGE trouble for empty shelves. Have you ever thought about if YOUR significant other was that manager and having his performance on the job altered by people clearing shelves without warning? Be respectful of the people that keep the stores running and stocked. We all have people and expectations that we have to answer to.
4. "I buy in super bulk to stock my Church/Organization Food Ministry." Nothing wrong with that and I donate as much as I can each and every week. Had a "Whipped My Head Around So Fast- It Should Be Sore Tomorrow" moment at Publix. Witnessed an amazing conversation. Said woman is clearing out the razors, has her deal list and coupons when a family member comes up and asks clear as day- "What church are we getting free food from tomorrow?"
Now trust me- I know this idea to coupon in bulk on a great deal during one shop because there is a chance that people are taking advantage of the coupon deals plus getting assistance. The only change I'm asking AGAIN is just break your deals up and take the chance you may not get as much as you wanted to donate to help others so other folks that REALLY NEED IT can make the same effort as you and (and love your charitable heart)get the deals can have a chance.

I know it's fun, I know stockpiling makes you feel good but let's all be fair, reasonable, share the love and be respectful. I could never clear a deal or take advantage because I worry there is someone out there that has to make these deals work for their family to survive. Please do the same.

Just remember the Golden Rule- Get what your family needs, remember there are others that may have needs beyond yours who put the same effort, may grasp hope from these deal lists and can find the light at the end of the tunnel to keep their family afloat and our greed/ambition/obsession could be hurting so many more people in the end versus the just following the "Coupon Golden Rule." Being reasonable has always worked for me. 'Nuf Said- Peace Out!

2 comments:

Kim said...

You make an excellent point. I feel really bad when I take the last one. I try to buy only what I think I can use in a reasonable time. (I can always come back tomorrow!)

Prohomemaker.Com said...

One of your best posts ever -- and one that is rarely seen.

I saw the guy on Nightline (whom I think you know) who had a gazillion boxes of Jello, and I thought, "WTH?"

True, I have 13 deodorants right now, but for two men, I should be down to about 4-5 when the next freebies comes along.

You're not saving when you are buying more than you need. I started nixing some purchases at Rite Aid. Even though I could get $50 in Olay free, do I really want it? Or pay the sales tax? I said no and passed the sale by.

Like I said, one of the most creative couponing posts I've seen in a long time.