Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Living Smart 101: Drying your own herbs

I always tell you to look for the orange and yellow Manager's Special stickers at Kroger. They are everywhere and in every department! And I was telling a group the other day that it becomes instinct to just scan the store and find them.

One area these stickers frequent is the Produce Department, especially in the ready to serve salad mixes, pre-cut veggies etc. And they frequently mark down their Private Selection fresh herbs. You may see them for .99 cents and wonder what to do with them. EASY!! Dry them.

Save your spice bottles and wash well. When I get these bunches of herbs, I simply wash them, dry them off and then place on paper towels on my "formal" dining room table. There's a vent above where I put them so the heat coming on may or may not help. All you need is a place to keep them out of the way and another option is to hang them. I make sure they are in a single layer and I turn them a couple of times during the 5-7 days it takes to be completely dry. That is very important- if they aren't 100% dried out then I worry about contamination when stored in the closed bottle. Once they are dry, I either crush it up or remove from the stems into my bottles. Tonight, I did an entire spice bottle of dried dill for .99 cents! That would be 4-5 times in the store for that amount and the herbs are organic as well.

So far, I've dried basil, dill and cilantro. We aren't huge cilantro fans and I never hear any of the stars of Food Network talk about dried cilantro but I found the taste to be more milder when dried.

It's easy so next time you see them marked down- give it try! It's very Martha Stewart to dry your own herbs and you are saving money! I plan to extend my herb garden next summer to really stock up!

No comments: