Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Saturday, October 25, 2008

How to make "designer" brownies for next to nothing!

An item that I always buy at a rock bottom price is brownie mixes. I can buy Betty Crocker brownie mixes and even the Ghirardelli mixes for .19-.35 cents a box when the sale cycle comes around on these items. I currently have 12 boxes of brownie mix. Sound crazy? Probably but with the holiday season approaching- there will be Trunk or Treat dinners and cookouts this week, church holiday functions, parties at school, family dinners and Daisy Scouts etc. in the next couple of months. We had a Fall Festival in the neighborhood tonight and you'll never guess what I took... brownies!

But you can get all Sandra Lee and turn a plain box of brownies into what I call "designer brownies." These 2 ideas are always a huge hit and people think I spent a lot more time (and money) than I really did.

Turtle Brownie Bites:
I always get the Turtle flavor mixes and I do these in mini muffin tins. Just spray really well with baking Pam. Fill each about 3/4 of the way full and I do the cake like brownies and add the third egg. Take the caramel packet and squirt a small amount in each then swirl with a toothpick. Bake as usual and I always serve them if at home on a 3 tiered serving piece. These also work really good in my monogrammed baking boxes that I give as gifts at the holiday season. I'll explain those later. :)

Mississippi Mud Brownies:
This brownie is special to my family. My grandmother, who passed away in 1995, lived in Charleston. She would make these brownies from scratch. I can remember arriving at her house from Atlanta and if it was dinner time- chicken was frying (she was the best at it) and these brownies were cooling on the counter. I've shortened the process by using a mix. I know she wouldn't be mad at my shortcut as busy as I am!

Bake a brownie mix as usual. Again, I do the cake like brownies with 3 eggs versus 2. About 5 minutes left or when your toothpick test is almost "clean" or the top is barely soft to the touch... pour a bag of mini marshmallows on top or enough to cover well. Turn off the oven and let the pan sit in the oven for about 2 minutes. Take the brownies out of the oven and with a spatula or spoon, spread the marshmallows around- they have melted and will make one even layer. While they are in the oven- make the following icing.

Chocolate Frosting:
1/4 cup butter softened
1/4 cup cocoa + 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons warm milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 16 oz confectioner's sugar sifted

Cream butter and add cocoa, mixing well. Gradually add the sugar, adding warm milk as needed to keep the right consistency (a little thick but you can stir). Stir in vanilla. Pour over the marshmallows and let hardened before cutting.

These brownies ROCK! And everyone loves them.

Both are super easy, looks like you spent a lot of time, your serving plate will be wiped clean and you haven't spent a lot of money. I have 12 boxes and if I spent .25 cents on each- I've spent $3.00 plus a few other ingredients. I can easily do 12 functions this Holiday Season for under $10.00 and I'm bringing desserts that are a huge hit!

This is just one of many examples of how you stockpile, work the lists and then use the products you get for next to nothing work to your advantage. I'll add more ideas like these in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: