Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Saturday, October 18, 2008

My!... How the times are changing!

I've been using couponmom.com for over 8 years and it is so funny how the attitude about coupons and saving money has changed in the last 6 months. Using coupons is being covered very heavily by the media and I've had the pleasure of being part of that coverage. It's been fun and I'm happy to help show people how to save money.

I've definitely had my critics, skeptics and some have pretty much called me crazy! I've heard over and over the following statements:
"That is just way too complicated and too much time."
Note: It's not when you are organized and have a plan.
"I only buy the things I need or will use."
Note: I do too- I may try new products but they are free or close to it. And it's been fun discovering products that I would have passed over that I like now, can become an alternate for more expensive items and I love it when I find a product that becomes a favorite in my household.
"People like you steal from stores."
Note: First of all, there are some people that take the couponing way over the top. I only adhere to a store's coupon policies. I follow all the rules and I don't clear shelves, hold up lines, buy products to sell at flea markets or copy Internet Printable coupons. I don't like these people and wish they would stop so the savings can be shared by all.
"Things cost more now because of people using coupons."
Note: Only around 5% of the American population use coupons and the stores are reimbursed for those coupons. Companies would not issue coupons and stores wouldn't accept them if they both didn't make money.
"You don't take care for your family by buying the products that there are coupons for."
Note: That is entirely not true! I cook from scratch almost every night and processed package foods are very few and far between. My girls are in the perfect weight percentages, healthy as horses and rarely get sick. My oldest had an ear infection and we went to the pediatrician this week and she even asked if we were seeing another doctor because the girls' files are so small. Yes, my girls eat fruit snacks but that's a treat for 2 little girls that actually ask for salad, asparagus and brussel sprouts.
"I'd be embarrassed to use a coupon at a store. I don't have to coupon and people will think I do."
Note: If you walked down the street every week and found a $100 bill- would you not pick it up because people might think something of you? If you like to play golf and with couponing with your wife- you save $100 a week... you could play every Saturday. Why pay full price when you can pay little or next to nothing? This is probably the one that drives me nuts! I don't have to do this, I never have and I did this when I made good money in IT Sales. One of the reasons I started was I could save money on what we obviously had to have (aka food) and my new found savings could be spent at the Dawsonville Outlets which before kids we used to go to every Friday night and walk around.

Okay- I think you get my point. People have actually emailed me, called and apologized for their "opinions" in the past about my obsession and are now asking how to do it. And if your neighbors, high school or college friends from Facebook are behind you in line at the grocery store- I think they would now be impressed that you use coupons. And you wouldn't believe how many people now including cashiers almost chase me down in the parking lot wanting to know how I do this.

3 comments:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Wonderful post, and shows just how it works and why it's important (especially nowadays). ... A post request: Can you please explain how to use the Extra Rewards at CVS. I think I had $36 on it, and then it expired. I ask the clerks, and no one knows how exactly you redeem them. Thanks in advance for that, and I am adding you to my blog roll right now!

Traci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am still trying to learn this. So if I have 3 coupon circulars from the Sunday paper and let's say I have three different coupons for $.50 off shampoo. Would I have to buy 3 of the same shampoo in order to use all three coupons?