Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Monday, March 2, 2009

Coupon 101: Dealing with "Coupon Critics"

I have finally decided that there are just certain people in the world that get the idea of saving money and the majority of the rest will never embrace it or even try to. And the most unfortunate thing is when you get excited, start saving big- you will get the negative comments from what I label- Coupon Critics.

I compare Coupon Critics to those pesky people that decide when you are pregnant that they can tell you their opinions, advice and horror stories. I don't understand either group of folks but when you are excited, saving money- you will need to get very thick skin and quick.

Why? First of all, you will want to start shouting from the rooftop about your savings. Because you get it, realize how much you can save and want to share and help others- you will become a Chatty Cathy about how well you are shopping and how full your pantry is getting. You are on the Coupon Game High, you've mastered the system and then you get the "comments."

And I hate to inform you but even after 8+ years of doing this- I still get the "comments." Even in this trying time in our economy- the Coupon Critics are out in full force.

The one that grinds me the most is "I don't buy things I don't use." I don't buy things I don't use- I get them for free. Or as close to it as I can. I get to try new things, roll the savings into other shops and we donate or sell at rock bottom prices to help those people that can't get this coupon system down in our community or are really struggling.

Another great one- "I'd rather be caught dead than use a coupon." First of all- why would you not save this kind of money despite your income level? I found a coupon fact that the larger the household income, the higher the education level- the more coupons are being used by that household. The mega rich (or they appear to be) use coupons. I don't have to do this- I did coupons when I worked 70 hours a week as an IT recruiter making a killing during the whole Y2K saga. But if things did change for us- we can handle it, deal with it and create a new game plan.

Just don't let people knock you down. My biggest critics are related to me and that's tough but I pay my bills- no one else does and I can't count on anyone but Mike and I to run our family.

And in case you wonder- we do splurge. But with patience and not using credit. Madi has wanted a Wii forever. We were worried about buying one because we knew Mackenzie would want to play and she's too little. We figured by the time she was ready- there would be a bigger and better version. I commend Madi for her patience and understanding. We also did not have a TV that would be worth playing a Wii on. We have nice TVs but hadn't invested in a large flat screen. Mike gets a bonus this month and we did discuss buying a better TV so she could have a Wii for her birthday and mine this month. We waited and it paid off!! Mike's grandparents gave us a 52 inch Flat Screen for almost free this weekend because they bought better TVs. We went out and bought the Wii this weekend and we have had so much fun. My arm is sore from bowling. It was a big purchase but this is wonderful family fun at home. And that saves money in the long run. Plus the savings at the stores plus the almost free TV- it was the perfect time to buy the Wii.

Just don't listen to the Coupon Critics. Have fun, help your home and be a good financial steward for your family. It will always pay off in the end- just learn to not debate those that will never get it and I feel so sorry for the Coupon Critics- they could have as much fun as we do!

3 comments:

Loran said...

Thanks for taking the time to post some encouragement - I really needed to hear it. Everyone thinks I'm nuts asking for their coupon inserts from the paper but I still think it is a process I'm determined to master. Here's to embarassing our families by saving them money, lol!

Sandra said...

Here! Here! My mom is entertained by my savings, but she does not do the shopping and my dad would never use a coupon. I've tried to show others that I work with how to save and I get the same comment, "I don't use any of that stuff."
Huh? You don't use cooking oil, sugar, spices, cereal, potatoes, pasta, rice, juice, vegetables, etc. SOOOO...What do you eat at your house? :)

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Excellent post! IMO people are being foolish if they don't use the *easiest* savings. I noticed this week at the store people didn't even take the time to rip out a coupon in teh store to get free soda if they bought $10. Sure, I don't drink the Pepsi, but my SIL does. And it took me only 10seconds to cut out the coupon. What's that phrase, "None are so blind than those who will not see"