Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Friday, March 6, 2009

Coupon 101: Department Store Credit Card Discount- Run Away from the Light!

My once little sleepy country suburb has gotten just downright fancy this week! Just down the road they have opened a massive shopping center with Lowes, Best Buy, Petsmart, Kohls, TJ Maxx and the now largest Super Target in Georgia. And those are just a few of the stores- more to come and tons of restaurants to boot!

We checked out Kohls tonight because they sent us a free $10 gift card. We didn't have 2 feet in the store before we were approached to open a Kohls account. Actually, we walked the entire store and were asked a total of 4 times to open an account. I know this is what they do but don't get sucked in!

They try to suck you in with an instant discount on your purchase. Great...take 20% off but charge me an interest rate that's probably over 20%! You apply because of the cloud the discount created in your frugal mindset and vow you will never use it but to get discounts, pay it off each month and never let the balance climb.

You may do that and stick to your guns- I know plenty of people that do. But... what if you don't? You just put another item on your credit report and that may be the difference between qualifying for a major, important purchase.

These credit cards have this magical way of talking to you when you are in the store. Let's say you go to Kohls to buy your child a pair of shoes. You budget that you will spend $50.00. All of a sudden- there's a huge sale and your child likes 2 pairs, you see some cute finds for yourself and a great pair on clearance for your better half. You calculate in your head and you are well over $120.00. That little piece of plastic in your wallet starts giggling in your head- "Use ME! You can save all the next month and pay it off no problem." That sounds like a plan and I bet if you went to Customer Service, they would give you a 15% coupon for your purchase. Now it's settled- you are using the card and paying it off when the bill arrives.

Before I go further- don't get me wrong. I'm not assuming everyone who reads the blog is living month to month or irresponsible. We certainly aren't but life happens and the best intentions can be thrown to the wind before you know it.

You wear your new, cute sandals and your child thanks you over and over for their awesome 2 pairs of sneakers. Husband is impressed at your find for him and you are on Cloud 9! Before you know it- your child is sick and you're sitting at CVS paying for a $75 antibiotic that you never saw coming. The next day, you get your HOA statement for your yearly dues and the pool is opening in a month. Your low tire pressure light suddenly comes on. The travel agent emails that another payment on your Disney vacation 9 months away is up. When it rains- it pours.

Now you have to start creative bookkeeping. And I'm saying that not because you don't have money but assuming you don't want to charge anything else. Which bill is the easiest to not pay in full and give yourself "just one more month" to pay it off? DING DING DING! The Kohls bill.

By this point, you've accumulated interest on your purchase. You are a good customer to Kohls! What do they do next? Keep baiting you in the store to purchase more. Your daughter needs new jeans- so you think "Let's go to Kohls- they are having a great sale!" To get the discount- you have to use the card. The process repeats itself. You are making more than the minimum payment and it's going to be paid off in no time. You get the mail a couple of months later and before you open it- you play the "balance game" in your head. "I bet it's about $200." Open it up and it's pushing $400. And you sit there trying to figure out how. That's why Kohls is so nice to list all your purchases for you.

This may never happen to you but it can before you realize it. Stores wouldn't offer credit cards if they didn't know exactly what they were doing and how to bait the average consumer into running up a balance. Just be careful and use wisely if you choose to get a card.

I still get the discounts at Kohls- I take my in-laws with me (and on Senior Discount day to boot for an additional discount) and they charge for me. They always pay the balance off each and every month so they don't mind. I pay them cash when we leave and we are all happy!

I didn't like this Kohls anyway- it's brand new and no clearance sections yet!

5 comments:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Great post because I know so many people who do the same. I love using credit where it benefits me -- 0 percent interest and just paying it off before it kicks in, but you're right, so many fall into the trap.

Oh and BTW, I LOVE TJ Maxx -- best clearance racks around!

P.S. Kohls is too dang expensive -- I went in one time

ravi said...

nice post

to knew more about credit cards visit

www.ravi-creditcards.blogspot.com


and apply them online

Sandra said...

I absolutely agree! I am going into these stores the check them out today. I will politely say no! I guess they don't care that people having more credit than they can afford is half of the financial "crisis" we are facing right now!!

Sandra said...

Just to add to my previous comment...My cashier at Kohl's this morning did not stop talking about the card the entire time she was checking me out. I think I said no about four times! On the other hand they had their "BIG ones" towels on sale 3/10. Two of those deals with my $10 gift card gave me six new towels to replace my thread bare ones for total $10.00oop!

Traci said...

That's great Sandra! I used ours to get a game for the new Wii for $12.00!