Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Living Smart 101: "Dirt Washes Off, But the Money Sticks"

I mentioned my good friend, Prohomemaker and there was a quote on his blog that has stuck in my head the past couple of days. It was his mom's saying and he obviously learned from some pretty super smart parents.

"Dirt Washes Off, But the Money Sticks"

I love it and it explains so much about how people need to plan ahead, work hard now to appreciate the fruit of your labor down the road. I know so many people trying to keep up with the Jones or at least they did until about the last 12 months and paying the price for it now. For example, we live in a very conservative house for what we could have bought, cashed in the huge return on our old house and our realtor was pushing really hard 3 years ago to buy much higher than we did. We have a very nice home, fits our needs at this stage in our family's life perfectly because I kept saying I didn't want to be "house poor." I didn't want a huge mortgage that I couldn't go to the Premium Outlets when I wanted, do the things we wanted and prepare for our future. This was also a new area for us, I was pregnant with our 2nd child and I knew what a toddler plus a baby would do to a house. Baby gates, fingerprints up the staircase, spills in the carpet etc. We decided to buy this house, get through the messy child stage and then consider this house an investment property down the road. Of course, the area housing market has tanked so we'll be here a little longer than planned. Not a problem- we have wonderful schools, great friends and we enjoy where we live. Our next plan is to build our perfect "last" home and we'll be able to do that because of the patience we are showing now. And don't get me wrong- we have a 5 bedroom, 3 full bath house. We aren't living in a shack. :)

Back to the quote- I define "Dirt" as the effort it takes to get the savings and make these great savings sytems work for you. Roll up your sleeves, dig in and spend a little bit of time each week to reap the benefits. I've said it before and I'll say it again- people can criticize your frugal efforts and give their opinions but who pays your bills each month? You do!

I like this quote because it makes you realize you have to look at the big picture. I have 2 very smart little girls. Spending about 30 minutes a day now finding the deals, pulling lists from Coupon Mom and saving as much as possible each week will pay off one day. I will be so proud when the girls want to apply to college and I say- "Go where you want." And not strap my child with a ton of financial aid that they have to pay back for years after they graduate. Mike jokes and refers to having 2 daughters as "Two Wedding Bills." I hope that when my girls find THE ONE that we can fulfill their wedding dreams and that's coming probably right off paying for college.

And "When the Money Sticks"- I can imagine Mike and I enjoying our retirement years, loving our wonderful grandchildren and laughing about those crazy times when we bought toothpaste for nothing, scored all the deals and how we are now enjoying the money that stuck! And I can't imagine us still not working the deals as long as we can drive! HAHA

The last thought was how ProHomemaker learned from his parents. I hope and it's already evident that Madison is becoming a quick study to our efforts to maximize our savings. If my girls learn from us that saving money is crucial and credit/living beyond their means is not the way to go... then I know my efforts are not only rewarding now but for the future of our great family.

1 comment:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

What a great post! (And thanks so much for *all* the sweet comments.)

So true on everything. I never bought into the realtor flashy way, so I drive a used Lincolmn that I paid $10,000 cash for (and it only had 16,ooo miles, but was 7 years old when I bought. Great deal)

I am thankful, too, for no credit card bills -- got about $1200 left to pay off (real estate fees, etc) but they are 0 percent interest. Just pay some off every month. And then got a $700 refund from our mortgage escrow account due to the taxes dropping, so that's paying off the one big one (and getting my sofa cleaned). :-)

OK, off to nurse this cold/flu, but just wanted to say what great posts.