Savings with Style!

Start Saving with Style with Southern Coupon Belle! I'm now COUPONING IN CoMo!
What happens when a Coupon Expert in one region of the USA moves to another area of the country? I have started over learning new stores, coupon policies and building a reasonable stock pile and savings routine from scratch since October 1, 2011. I was an expert in Atlanta and the South but now happily reside in Columbia, Missouri!

I've searched other blogs and sites but I can't find someone else in my shoes so hopefully reading how I started over can help you! Whether you are a seasoned couponer in a new area OR a beginner- I know I can help walk you through what to do and help you start saving big! Starting over has made me realize how newbies to coupons feel and made me walk a grocery store aisle or two in a beginner's shoes again! Email me at southerncouponbelle@gmail.com and let me know how I can help! Thanks for reading and taking this journey with me!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Living Smart 101: Children's Birthday Parties

I've decided to create a new Label: Living Smart 101.
I'll place posts there that take the saving money beyond the grocery/drug store and making a rich life without spending a lot of money.

My daughter's birthday is Saturday and we are having her party here. We're doing a Red Carpet Premiere Party and converting our garage into a Movie Theater. It's a fun party (we did it for her 4 year old party and she wanted to do it again) and we've got 20 kids coming. I got a lot of compliments 2 years ago about what a fun party it was!

Parties at bowling alleys, Chuck E Cheese etc. can get expensive quick!! With a little creativity and thinking simple- you can throw a fun party for a fraction of the cost.

Here's some tips:
1. Think outside the box. A home party will trump going to the bowling alley AGAIN when it's fun and different. We will have a red carpet outside with a bubble machine and paparazzi taking the kids' picture as they walk the carpet.
2. Design your own invitations. I have my own "company" and I do invitations for friends and family but you can design a cute invitation for the cost of ink, card stock and the right size envelopes. You can find envelopes cheap at Walmart to fit a 1/2 page invitation. If you have any type of scrapbooking software (or even Word) and cute graphics- it's super easy, looks like you went to one of those fancy paper stores to do your invitations and you'll save a ton of money!
3. Keep the food simple. I'm doing food you can get at a movie theater- so the menu is hot dogs, nachos, Capri Suns, tea/water for the adults, movie boxes of candy, popcorn and snow cones. We aren't doing a cake because one of Madi's good friends has a food allergy. Madi made that decision all on her own and she wants to blow out her candle in her hot dog. She is such a sweet, considerate child!
4. Plan your menu early. I knew my menu months ago so I could watch the lists each week at Coupon Mom and would get items I knew I needed ahead of time at their rock bottom price plus be able to use a coupon. We scored on the tortilla chips about 3 weeks ago because Publix had their chips as their penny item! Of course, I'll need to pick up perishables but I've gotten most of my menu for pennies on the dollar by planning ahead.
5. Keep the party simple- with so many kids and they are only 6 years old... you don't have to have a ton of activities and feel like you have to entertain them every minute of the party. Trust me- they will entertain themselves!
6. Keep party favors cheap. Again, this is a 6 yr old party so you can give them just about anything and they are going to be thrilled. Hit the $ Store and just give each child 2-3 things. We're doing Celebrity Gift Bags so they will be a little more elaborate. Also- remember the Birthday Favor Golden Rule- don't give anything to your guests that you wouldn't want your child to receive at a party.
7. Plan ahead what needs to be done so you don't get stressed out. I think that's one of the main reasons people just pay to have these parties away from the house. I realize that there are people out there that don't like people in their homes or the thought of getting ready for company can become overwhelming. Use one of my favorite websites: ProHomemaker and my great friend will guide you through the easiest way to clean thoroughly but quickly. Plus great tips on getting ready for company quick so your guests will think you are a Pro Homemaker!
8. Don't be afraid to call when you don't get an RSVP. I'm from Charleston, SC so RSVPing is one of the Commandments of Southern Manners. However, people get busy, have a million things on their plates and while your party is a priority to you- people just forget. Calling and asking in a nice way allows you to get a final head count so you aren't buying extra stuff trying to cover everyone and/or not having enough food or goodies for the guests.
9. Brainstorm easy but super creative little details. I'm laminating signs to put all over the neighborhood on the way to the house saying "Stars This Way to the Premiere." I got paint sticks for free at the home improvement store and I already have the supplies here. The kids got so excited last time when they saw the signs. Super easy and just a little detail that gets noticed. I'm also making VIP badges for the kids for "VIP access" to the party. Again, will cost next to nothing- I bought badge protectors at Walmart for about $3.00.
10. Make sure to thank your guests for their presents. Take a picture of your child with each guest and send a Thank You. Again- my Charleston Manners coming out but with these trying times and people struggling- buying birthday presents could be hard on a budget. Especially when you have a class of 17! If you spent $10 each- that's $170! Have your child show their appreciation and not only thank each guest for their gift but the time spent for attending the party. Parents have to juggle the weekends especially this time of year with soccer, baseball and softball etc.

I'm doing this party for under $50. Everyone is excited and I know Madi is going to have a blast with her friends. Granted we already have the DVD projector and the decorations from the last party but with some creativity and smart thinking- you create a birthday memory for your child that is priceless!

And it's 12:00am so Southern Coupon Belle is now one year older!

1 comment:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

I truly LOL at this comment:

"I'm from Charleston, SC so RSVPing is one of the Commandments of Southern Manners."

*So* true -- that, and thank you notes. :-)

By the way, my Mom is from Greenville SC and lived in Charleston during the war, so yeah, it rubs off. :-)